Makita XMU04Z 18V LXT Lithium-Ion Cordless Grass Shear
Makita XMU04Z 18V LXT Lithium-Ion Cordless Grass Shear is lightweight and affordable cordless, grass cutting tool. It is design to cleanly cut grass at specified height from areas that are often hard to reach with classic wheeled lawn mowers, thus helping the home gardener to keep the garden clean and neat.
Makita XMU04Z 18V LXT Lithium-Ion Cordless Grass Shear is powered with Makita's 18V LXT lithium-ion batteries, ranging from 2.0 to 5.0 Ah.
Owners of these batteries can purchase bare-tool only at very affordable price, however, larger 5.0 Ah battery is strongly recommended since it provides up to 200 minutes (more than 3 hours) of operation.
Personally, if you own Makita 18V LXT 2.0 Ah battery and have relatively small garden and only few spots were Makita XMU04Z is required, don't bother buying larger battery unless you plan on purchasing more Makita 18V LXT compatible tools.
Main Makita XMU04Z features include:
- physical dimensions (L x W x H) are 13.875 x 7 x 5.125 inches (353 x 177 x 131 mm), with cutting width of 5.31 inches (160 mm). Weight of the tool depends on the used battery, and it goes up to 4.1 pounds (~1.86 kg). Such lightweight tool can be used for prolonged time, without causing fatigue.
- built-in motor delivers 2500 SPM (strokes per minute) for smooth operation. Unit comes with dual blades for improved cutting results - note: blades can be swapped using no tools rather quickly. Blades are nickel-plated to improve resistance to stains and rusting and they also come with blade guard.
- soft ergonomic grip is rubberized and designed to absorb the vibrations.
- to help keep things clean, unit comes with grass receiver.
- it is possible to set 3 cutting heights at 19/32", 25/32", and 1" (15, 20, 25 mm).
- lock-off button is positioned on both sides of the tool.
- battery capacity warning system turns on indicator light and automatically stops the motor to notify the user when it is time to recharge and/or replace the battery.
Note: Makita 18V LXT batteries with indicators display remaining capacity, which can be read by the user at any given moment:
- four lights on: remaining capacity 75-100%
- three lights on, one off: remaining capacity 50-75%
- two lights on, two off: remaining capacity 25-50%
- one lights on, three off: remaining capacity 0-25%
- one light blinking, three off: charge the battery
Also, if the battery indicator alternatively displays two lights on and two lights off, the battery may have malfunctioned. In that case, take the battery out, let it cool down and power down your charger (unplug it). If the battery displays malfunction again, take it to the nearest repair shop and if it is under warranty, get a replacement.
Makita XMU04Z is simple tool to operate, but it has certain specifics not commonly found at other garden tools. Hence, it is highly recommended to read the manual before the first use, especially if you have never operated anything similar before.
Makita XMU04Z comes with three year limited warranty.
Recommended Battery and Charger for Makita XMU04Z
If you don't own any Makita 18V LXT battery and charger, good news is that such battery and charger can be used to power whole line of Makita's tools that are compatible with such batteries. Initial costs of purchasing such charger(s) and batteries can seem relatively high, but in the long run, any additional tool can be purchased at very acceptable price as 'bare tool only'.
For people requiring just a charger and one battery, Makita BL1850BDC1 starter pack is recommended.
Starter pack comes with one single port battery charger and one 5.0 Ah 18V LXT lithium ion battery. Such battery can provide 200 minutes of operation for Makita XMU04Z, but it can also provide ample for any 18V LXT compatible tool - jsut note that it takes up to 45 minutes to charge drained 5.0 Ah 18V LXT battery.
People needing more batteries can opt for a pair of 5.0 Ah 18V batteries. Since such batteries are recharged within 45 minutes, when one battery is being used, other battery can be recharged and cooled down, which prolongs battery's life.
People needing even more power should consider buying dual or even quad port chargers and even more batteries. Personally, only professional site contractors need more than 3-4 5.0 Ah batteries fully charged at the same time, but one never knows :)
For more reviews and recommendations check:
These are Amazon affiliate links and they open in the new windows, so feel free to check them.